Home | About Us | Contact Us
Rick Scott, Governor
Florida Department of Corrections, Secretary Julie L. Jones

Florida Department of Corrections
Julie L. Jones, Secretary

Citizens' Services

Click for Spanish Version

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. What is the role of the Citizens' Services Office?
    In compliance with the Customer Service Standards Act, F.S. 23.30, the department's Citizens' Services Office provides an avenue for the general public to obtain information and express concerns on issues relative to the department. Complaints and queries may be submitted in the form of a letter or calling our toll free number 1-888-558-6488. Keep in mind that this office handles a large volume of work on a daily basis and staff is multi-tasked with responding to a plethora of electronic messages, letters, and telephone calls. Staff makes every effort to address each query or complaint in a timely and efficient manner.

  2. When should I contact the citizens' services office?

    You may contact us if you have a general inquiry or feel you have a legitimate concern. If your complaint pertains to the care, custody and supervision of an inmate (i.e. harassment, threats), you should contact the warden at the facility where the inmate is housed in an attempt to bring about a resolution. Complaints regarding offenders on community supervision should be directed to the circuit administrator for the area of supervision. Complaints alleging physical abuse of inmates and conduct unbecoming by staff should be directed to the Office of the Inspector General for appropriate handling at 501 S. Calhoun Street, Tallahassee FL, 32399-2500 or call 850-488-9265.

    Upon exhausting all efforts at the local level and you feel that your concerns were not appropriately addressed, we will be more than happy to further assist you. Our goal is to do the right thing, the right way, for the right reasons, and right the first time. Please be mindful that this office serves as a conduit and will not circumvent departmental policies and procedures.

  3. How can I find out about parole, clemency, conditional release and deportation processes?

    Matters pertaining to parole, commutation of sentence, and restoration of civil rights, conditional release, conditional medical release and addiction recovery supervision are at the discretion of the Florida Commission on Offender Review. Additionally, the Commission administers the clemency process for the Executive Clemency Board pursuant to the Rules of Executive Clemency. For more information regarding the clemency process, you may visit the Florida Commission on Offender Review's website at fcor.state.fl.us. Any questions pertaining to parole for federal inmates should be directed to the United States Parole Commission at www.usdoj.gov/uspc.

    Also, under the U.S. Constitution, clemency requests for federal criminal offenses are extended to the President of the United States. Executive clemency may take several forms, including pardon, commutation of sentence, remission of fine or restitution, and reprieve.

    For more information regarding the clemency process for federal inmates, you should contact the United States Department of Justice Office of Pardon Attorney at www.usdoj.gov/pardon.

    Questions about the deportation process should be addressed to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services. If you need legal advice about an immigration matter but cannot afford an attorney, you may be able to get free or low-cost legal assistance or advice from immigrant support groups and other community service organizations in your area. The Board of Immigration Appeals, a part of the Executive Office for Immigration Review (EOIR), keeps the nationwide list of officially recognized organizations and their accredited representatives. You may visit their website at uscis.gov or call 1 (800) 375-5283. Customers can access automated information through a menu of automated options 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. A customer service representative is available to assist customers who need more information or assistance during regular business hours.

  4. How can I find out about inmate health care?

    The Office of Health Services makes accessible comprehensive medical, dental, and mental health treatment for both male and female inmates statewide.

    This includes health education, preventive care, and chronic illness clinics at the community standard level of care mandated by the federal government. The scope of an inmate's health care regimen includes emergency and specialty care as well as inpatient hospitalization, as required. Keep in mind that federal and state laws prohibit the Department of Corrections from releasing confidential information without written authorization. Prior to the release of any confidential information, the inmate must sign a "Consent for Inspection and Release of Confidential Information" form. If you need more information regarding an inmate's health care or medical records you may e-mail the Office of Health Services at faq.health@mail.dc.state.fl.us.

  5. Gaintime, discipline, custody, releases, etc.

    Upon entry to the Florida Department of Corrections, each inmate is assigned a classification officer. The inmate's classification officer is responsible for managing issues pertaining to

    inmate care, custody and supervision such as gain-time, discipline, transfers, custody, progress reports, work release, releases etc. Keep in mind that the Florida Department of Corrections does not have the authority to change an inmate's sentence in any way without a directive from the sentencing authority.

    Also, inmates are privileged with the grievance process to remedy their concerns, in accordance with Chapter 33-103. The effectiveness of the grievance process is derived from the course of action whereby grievances are reviewed and/or remedied through ascending administrative levels by well-trained professional staff. If the issue is not resolved at the institutional level, the inmate may appeal the issue to the Bureau of Inmate Grievance Appeals in the Central Office. The complaint must be submitted within time frames outlined in the rules so that it may be fully reviewed and, if necessary, corrective actions will be taken.

    For additional information, please visit our frequently asked questions about inmates or e-mail the Central Classification Office at central.classification@mail.dc.state.fl.us.

  6. How can I find out about inmates in county and federal facilities?

    If you are seeking information about county jail and federal inmates, you will have to contact the county facility where the inmate is housed or the Federal Bureau of Prisons, respectively, for appropriate handling. The Department of Corrections does not have any authority on individuals or matters pertaining to county or federal facilities.

  7. How to contact us

    You may contact the Citizens' Services Office by:

    Mail: Department of Corrections
    Office of Citizens' Services
    501 S. Calhoun Street
    Tallahassee, FL 32399-2500
    Phone: 850-488-7052 or
    toll free at 1-888-558-6488

    Contact DC
    Send a Suggestion

  8. Resourceful Information

Privacy Policy | Accessibility