How to Schedule Inmate Interviews
*Note- You do not need to contact the Office of Communications until the following steps have been completed.
Step 1: Read the Department’s Media Policies.
Step 2: Get written confirmation from the inmate saying they agree to the interview. (See ‘How Do I Write an Inmate’.)
Step 3: Complete a Media Access Form for every media/crew member who is planning to come with you.
Step 4: Submit the inmate consent letter and completed Media Access Forms to the Office of Communications (submission instructions are on the form.) Email is preferable and will help the process move faster. Private facilities require approval from the Department of Management Services (DMS).
Step 5: You will receive email confirmation along with an interview date and time.
- Do not contact institutions directly. They will not be able to help you.
- The interview process will not begin until all required paperwork is received. To avoid delays, you should send all of the information at the same time.
- By signing the Media Access Form, you agree that you have read and understand all the policies and procedures for inmate interviews. If these are not followed, you may be denied future requests.
- Be sure the Media Access Form is clearly legible and easy to read.
- Be sure the Media Access Form is completely filled out.
- Cell phones are not permitted inside institutions, so if you need to record audio, you will need to bring a small recorder and not a cell phone.
- Remember, you have one hour to conduct the interview.
- No video or outside shots or photos of the facility may be taken without permission from the Warden or his/her designee. Failure to comply constitutes a serious threat to security.
Download the Media Access Form. [27K PDF]
Top of Page