Skip navigation.
Home | About Us | Contact Us
Rick Scott, Governor
Florida Department of Corrections, Secretary Julie L. Jones

Florida Department of Corrections
Julie L. Jones, Secretary


Bureau of Information Technology

Earl Kellow
Bureau Chief
(850) 488-6316
SunCom 278-6316

Additional Contact

The Bureau of Information Technology is comprised of four sections:

The Corrections Data Center is responsible for operating and maintaining the department's mainframe computer. Based on computing capacity, it is the third largest of twelve major data centers in the executive branch of Florida's state government. The Data Center provides operational support for the department's Offender Based Information System (OBIS), including the statewide data network. OBIS is the mainstay of department operations statewide with over 1.8 million transactions processed each day.

Computing Services is responsible for central office local area network (LAN) and personal computer hardware and software support. It provides statewide support for all distributed processor based systems, client server (personal computer based) equipment, and local and wide area networks.

Systems Development is responsible for applications software development and maintenance. This includes the Offender Based Information System (OBIS) and distributed applications such as the Reception Center system, the Cashless Canteen/Inmate Bank system, and client server applications that run on personal computers and local area networks. Systems Development staff also supervise all contract programmers.

Technical Support provides security administration, control of procurement according to department standards, and clerical and administrative support for the entire bureau.

Accomplishments in FY 1998-99

  • The year 2000 (Y2K) transition preparation has been underway for almost three years. During that time, Information Technology staff have reviewed and, when needed, corrected all of the department's more than 1,300 programs. Testing of all programs has been completed by operational systems programmers, data administration, and application programmers.

  • The department acquired a new IBM mainframe processor as a result of an explicit bid specification process. The new technology mainframe allowed the department to take advantage of smaller space requirements and lowered environmental costs by eliminating such requirements as water cooling systems in the new data center facility. An improvement in performance was immediately noticed for our online transaction system (OBIS) during the most volatile processing period which occurs during the first 10 calendar days of the month.

  • The department has continued to implement a new enterprise network design. At the present time 60% of all locations have been installed with the remaining 40% to be implemented by December 1999. This has been a huge undertaking with central information technology staff working closely with field staff to move from the old networks to the new frame relay network.

  • As a result of legislation that transferred the Justice Data Center to the Department of Corrections, the department relocated the Data Center from the State Supreme Court Building to a newly constructed Corrections Data Center (CDC) facility. The data center was moved into this new facility located in the Central Office building in April 1999. The new facility contains the latest in environmental support systems, which include high capacity air conditioning, electrical power distribution, uninterrupted power service (UPS), a diesel generator, Inergen fire suppression systems, access security, and an environmental problem detection monitoring system.

  • Information Technology has supported the expansion of the department's web pages to include searchable data regarding inmates, early releases, escapes and probationers. Selection criteria is also available on early releases, repeat offenders and sexual predators. Programming has also been developed to support special needs relating to court or legislative decisions such as Gomez, Lynce, Lancaster, Gwong and others. A sentence calculator was implemented to enable attorneys and others to calculate predicted sentences. Data is also provided to the Criminal Justice Network (CJNET) and FDLE for their web sites.
Facebook Twitter YouTube

Privacy Policy | Accessibility